Last week was my first teacher in-service. Every morning we started with bible study, and the theme of Pastor John's devotion for the week was living a life of worship. I really enjoyed this study! We delved into how every moment of our life should be worship.
Not just Sunday morning at church. Every moment.
Washing dishes.
Grocery shopping.
Putting the kids to bed.
Having a discussion with my husband.
Driving to work or to an appointment.
In other words, everything. You probably already knew what I meant by everything, but I'm a ponderer who really needs to think these things through and, well, ponder.
In other words, everything. You probably already knew what I meant by everything, but I'm a ponderer who really needs to think these things through and, well, ponder.
And when worded that way, when explained so that my simple mind can understand... that church on Sunday is actually the least of our worship--(stay with me, here) only in the context that we spend a small amount of time in church compared to the rest of the week--I truly examined my soul. I *know* that everything we do should be to the glory of God--but how often am I really doing this? How often am I modeling this for the children entrusted to my care--and for the soon to be children that I will have watching my every move for hours of the day?
Am I grumbling when I do my chores? Am I responding with a sharp tongue when my children are misbehaving? Do I smile and speak softly when my appointment is delayed, or someone messes up an order, or cuts me off when driving?
Wow. But when we think of every moment of our life as worshiping God, how differently even the smallest tasks can seem. How brilliantly wonderful the often repetitive and challenging moments of motherhood can seem. And deep down, I already knew this.
But the realization that I had been doing otherwise hit me--hard!
But the realization that I had been doing otherwise hit me--hard!
So I talked it over with our family at dinner one evening. I told the boys that I wanted our family to be intentional about our attitudes and words throughout the day--and gently remind each other, if needed, that, ahem....your worship is showing.
And the blessings we've received keep piling up.
The boys have stopped and, in the middle of a rough day, spoken these words to me.
You're a good Mom.
You're doing a good job.
I love you.
Not that they didn't tell me I love you before. But these words, coming from their hearts voluntarily and spontaneously and sometimes in the midst of a moment in our day where I might not be at my best, are sweet and life-giving.
Lucas has heard his brothers and repeated their sweet words to Justin and me.
I've found myself responding better to moments when, though my children's feathers might be ruffled and their behavior warrant me to respond in frustration, the idea that every word I speak is worship allows me to easily be kind, light-hearted and gentle.
And I can see and know that what is produced by this joining of words--Is that Worship?--is a refocusing of our hearts on Him and the importance of every. single. moment.
Lucas has heard his brothers and repeated their sweet words to Justin and me.
I've found myself responding better to moments when, though my children's feathers might be ruffled and their behavior warrant me to respond in frustration, the idea that every word I speak is worship allows me to easily be kind, light-hearted and gentle.
And I can see and know that what is produced by this joining of words--Is that Worship?--is a refocusing of our hearts on Him and the importance of every. single. moment.
I am continually amazed at the work God is doing in my heart and the hearts of my family. Not because I'm amazed he can do it, but it is amazing that God cares and loves *me*. The me that I know who fails daily and has good days of being a great mom and bad days where I lose my temper or don't give my kids enough attention or I'm late and behind on everything...
There are small victories to be won that are just as important as the bigger ones. Maybe even more important. And it's never, ever too late to start fresh, wipe the slate clean, and dive in, passionately and full-hearted.
Won't you dive in with me?
Won't you dive in with me?
No comments:
Post a Comment