Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Cruisin' to Alaska...continued

Days 2-6 On (and off) the Boat:

On Saturday morning, the fifteen of us made it from the Seatac hotel to the cruise ship with a lot of walking, a little riding and a lot of patience. (I would like to mention that without the help of all of our incredible family members carrying luggage, backpacks and holding my children's hand, we never could have made it!)

Our first cruise group-selfie.

Meal time on the boat, especially dinner, was a leisurely affair that would routinely take two hours. At dinner we always had one big table that we would mix and match who we sat by. The boys, especially Cooper, grew accustomed quickly to ordering a drink, appetizer, entree and dessert. 

One evening in particular, as we were finishing our main course, Cooper got my attention and announced, "I'm going to have the chocolate volcano, but I *would* like to see the dessert menu." 

But of course. 

Ports  

Port days were full and exciting. You want to see all you can see but are only allowed a window to do so by the cruise ship, so planning is a must and checking a watch is also a must. (I forgot my watch at home. See how I planned ahead for this trip?)

Ketchikan was our first stop. All the big kids (Justin, me, and his siblings) went kayaking on Eagle Lake and grandma and grandpa shuttled the littles around to see bald eagles and totem poles. 

It was on this day we learned that our three boys have serious affection for bald eagles. Nevermind that in person a bald eagle is definitely not cuddly or cute or prone to hugs. (You can trust me on this because I was within arm's reach of a rescued bald eagle in Juneau, and she was majestic and beautiful but I definitely didn't want to bring her home.)

Each little boy received a stuffed baby bald eagle (per the grandparents) that they slept with the rest of vacation. It was love. 

More so for Lucas. His first night sleeping next to his new buddy, we heard this over and over:
Lucas: "I just love you, bald eagle. I love you, little guy."

Then he would say this: 
"You're safe and sound little bald eagle. You're safe from bad guys now."

Then there would be lots of kisses and hugs.



Which of these things is not like the other? Spencer, our cool, funny, likable kayaking guide is pictured on the bottom left. He seriously made me want to take up kayaking, and I didn't even use my paddle on this trip. (True story, more on that later.)




We discovered you can't visit Alaska and NOT take a picture (or seven) with a totem poll.

2nd Port: Juneau

Everybody did their own thing and The Voigt 5 went adventuring to the Mendenhall glacier and waterfalls. It was breathtaking. Spectacular. Little did we know that this beautiful hike would be surpassed that evening when the ship sailed directly toward another glacier, and we were sandwiched between two mountains. We literally ran out of dinner and stayed on the deck of the ship because it was too beautiful to leave. I felt curiously sad the next day, remembering it and wishing I could be back in that moment. 









This picture is later on the boat, and it simply doesn't do the scenery justice.





3rd Port: Victoria, British Columbia

This city was quaint and lush with flowers and grass and dotted with lovely buildings. It has year round good weather, breathtaking views and adorable little pockets of neighborhoods. Halfway through our visit I had already decided we were moving there when our guide dropped the bomb about the cost of living. Think an 1800 square feet, average middle class family, three-bedroom-two-bath home for half a million dollars. So....yeah. Not moving to Victoria, as it turns out. But we might return for a visit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment