Tuesday, July 28, 2020

The Cast Chronicles: Part 2

Yesterday we went for our first follow up appointment.

It went...eh.

Wasn’t bad. Wasn’t good. It just, was.

I took Lucas to this appointment, with the Texas Children’s Orthopedics. We left in plenty of time to find the place, get Lucas and his wheelchair out of the car, and make our way in. Oh, and to be screened for Covid-19.

The nurse came in the room and took us to get another x-ray of his leg. It was uneventful.

Then the Dr saw us. He explained that they allow for some movement of the bones. Less than 10% is allowed, he likes to see less than 5%. He said Lucas’ looked fine. But, he would like to see him back in a week to check again.

He made a comment while we were in the office that this was a several month process. So, I brought up the info we were given at the ER, and I asked if getting a boot by his birthday was a possibility. The Dr and his PA looked at one another. Then he told me that most likely, he will have this cast for at least 4 weeks and then move to a half leg cast (below his knee) that he will be able to put some weight on. That 6 weeks could be the time frame, but we could also be talking 8 weeks.

There was nothing wrong with our visit—but does someone ever just rub you the wrong way? I didn’t really care for this Dr. I don’t know why, but it was just a feeling.

On a happier note, Lucas has had lots of visitors (I don’t have pics of all) and yesterday when Aunt Katlyn came, she brought him the sweetest present: a dog named Higgy, who broke his leg, too. Higgy comes with a little card, telling Lucas that he broke his leg just like Lucas did, and on the back of the note is his x-ray. How cute is that??

He was also sent a robot LEGO set (by one of our oldest friends) that has been the perfect distraction. He's received cards and ice cream....what a blessed little boy. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1cRte76dNnlcFNQvaFfznIJN50ySC9Cpqhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1wT7KPMK5WhUkit-ubjS9b70ry0gHocEDhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1RsMoS1uwKVsiURHiOiLgaEAKd3gkJ5nmhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1srmJPTxwGiPO8f2l0NnNMr3rnJfsKiXBhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1iOryKJsFT1Rb6MBQE83Muwa7yBzhF9ijhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=18sgzIPOpcqWEmb9UBA0NaauJb7uiQ9ouhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1dkSaLaLJ11wuZPbQUEB3dBlvqrw-EZxXhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1AciCr2TBiWYOfGRBR_MfmjUTakNan12X

No comments:

Post a Comment