We had just finished our goodnight prayers and as I said "amen" and opened my eyes, Lucas was staring at me, his eyes just inches from mine. He poked his finger in my face and said "Here's a booger."
**********
Cooper couldn't quite get past what he learned in science about us losing "flakes" of skin.
"Do we *really* shed skin every month?" he asked me as I was busy getting laundry together.
"Yes!" I told him.
He didn't say anything for a second, and then he matter-of-factly informed me, "Mom, on April 27, I'm going to shed skin again."
I blinked at him, confused.
Then it dawned on me and I laughed. "No, sweetie, it's not like you only do it once a month. You're always shedding skin--it's a process that takes about a month--to lose one layer."
He nodded in understanding. "Ohhh, okay."
Bless his little thinking heart.
**********
Speaking of taking things literally, the boys and I have been reading through the chapter of Luke in the Bible, trying to finish before Easter Sunday. We were on the part about "turning the other cheek" and I paused to explain a little. Brayden was struggling with the idea of letting someone slap him.
"All Jesus is saying is that if someone tries to steal or be mean to you, bless them in return! Don't repay their unkindness with more unkindness. Like, if someone wants to take your backpack, give them your lunchbox, too," I explained, trying to put it in terms he would understand.
He was silent for a second and I could see the thoughts churning. He had his head resting on my leg and finally, after several seconds, he turned toward me and asked, "Well, if I give away my lunchbox, what am I supposed to eat for lunch?"
#LunchIsImportant #HeDoesntSkipMeals
**********
Lucas came into the kitchen where I was making dinner. He had been playing outside since we got home from school.
He dug around in his pocket and then pulled something out with a flourish. "I have a surprise for you--I picked a flower for you at *cool*!"
He handed me a smushed pink flower.
"I love it!" I exclaimed.
Then he stuck his hand back in his pocket, digging around a little more.
"Is there another one in there?" I asked.
He beamed up at me as he brought his hand out again. "I picked one for me, too."
But his hand was empty, so he kept searching, pulling his hand out and not holding anything but his pocket.
"Oh, I know!" he said brightly. "That flower can be for you AND me."
"Deal!" I replied happily.
#ILoveToddlers #LucasIsMyHomeboy
No comments:
Post a Comment