Monday, May 9, 2016

Mother's Day From My Heart

There was a time when I thought Mother's Day should be a day when I get to do absolutely nothing. I shouldn't lift a finger, my family should fall all over themselves to tend to my every wish, and everyone should go out of their way to fulfill the desires of my heart. Desires I had never voiced, of course, because what woman wants to tell her husband or children how to pamper her?? They should just know.

But as God is peeling away the layers of my heart, pruning and casting aside those branches that are hindering my walk with him and will never bear fruit, I find myself enjoying a most precious Mother's Day. 

Not pampered from head to toe. 

Not off somewhere by myself to have "me" time. 

Not sitting on my Motherhood throne while my children bow down at my feet.

This was our Mother's Day. I woke up with my children and husband. 
My first Mother's Day gift came from Lucas, who surprised me in the kitchen while I was making a cup of coffee and shouted, "Happy Moffer's Day, Mommy. You're a *dee* mom and you're happy." (See this post if you haven't already read about *dee*.)

We spent our morning at Sunday school and church--and I was reminded once again what a privilege it is to worship, and how grateful I am that God led our little family to this church family.

Afterward, Justin took us out for Mexican food. It's a little hole in the wall place with great food, and we had a lovely lunch. As we were leaving, I went to pay (Justin had forgot his wallet) and our waitress told me that the man who had been in the restaurant when we arrived had paid for our meal. I was in shock. I've seen people post on Facebook about this happening (in Starbucks, for instance, and it sets off a "pay it forward' chain and everyone pays for the person behind them) but never experienced it for myself.

"Are you sure?" I asked in disbelief. "He paid for us?"

She assured me it was for our family. I looked around the restaurant. There was no one else dining. I looked at Justin and asked, "Can you believe this? What do we do?" (I have come to realize that I am not someone who handles surprises with the most grace.)

He smiled and answered simply, "We'll find someone to do the same to the next time we eat out."

We came home and I set out to relax for a little bit. The big boys had made me THE cutest pictures in Sunday school, and I oohed and aahed over them for a few minutes. Brayden had also made me a necklace and a card. The most precious gifts. 

As I was laying on the couch to watch a little Gilmore Girls marathon, Brayden was in the Mother's Day spirit. He brought me my water thermos and actually held it while I took a sip, then set it on the coffee table. Later, he would bring it to me for another sip. He cuddled with me and asked if I would like a back rub. I forgot to mention that at the restaurant, when I came back from the restroom to find all the tortilla chips were gone (gasp!) Brayden offered me his last chip.

The love that these little boys showed me just can't be expressed in words. The look in their eyes when they gave me their presents--apprehension at whether I would like it mixed with pride at their handiwork. It's just too much.

This is my evolved Mother's Day. 

It's not just about me. It's about me being with and enjoying the people I love. 

And that's exactly what I did. And it was the best Mother's Day yet. 







I had to throw in a picture of skunk boy riding his horsie. (He's wearing the hat of a skunk costume.)

No comments:

Post a Comment