We've always known that Cooper is our thoughtful, practical, logical little boy.
He carefully tucks away knowledge and facts to use when the moment is just right. He likes things a certain way and likes them in order. He is precise and analytical. If he has a homework assignment that should take all week to complete, he'd rather "knock it all out" the first night.
In other words, he's his daddy.
The other day, Brayden and Cooper were at the kitchen table with play-dough. I used to avoid play-dough like the plague. But at 5 and 3/4 and 4 years old, it's actually not a bad way to spend 25 minutes. They play. They laugh. They create. And....they clean it up themselves!!
I walk in to ooh and aah over their dough animals, when I notice that the mat where Brayden has been playing has play-dough pieces stuck here and there, little pieces all over and a couple of big blobs. Cooper's mat, however, is spotless. Not a single piece of dough is anywhere to be found.
"Cooper," I ask bemusedly, "how in the world is your mat so clean?"
"See?" He explains to me, "I just play with it like this (holding the play-dough in the air). That way I don't get my mat dirty."
Ohh. That makes sense.The mat that I put there, to not get the table dirty....
So it is to my complete surprise that lately, when picking out his own pj's (which he loves doing) Cooper saunters in wearing mismatched top and bottoms.
The first time he did it, we all had a good laugh. The second time, I chuckled and shook my head. But now I'm just wondering what has happened to my sensible little boy.
----------------
Cooper's school celebrated the 100th day of school last week. It was a big deal, with lots of crafts and activities. He brought home some coloring sheets to work on that he had missed because he was home sick a few days. One of them was a big 100 with lots of little objects inside the numbers. We sat at the table and I watched him dive into it, picking out a little school bus and hurriedly coloring it blue. He finished it, picked up a red crayon and quickly colored the rest of the 100 red. Then he held it up proudly to show me, pointed to the little blue bus, and said,
"You know what I said about this?? That will take forever."
And just like that, my practical, think-it-through little boy was back.




No comments:
Post a Comment