He took his froggy to spend the night at Grammi and Popo's house, and when it was bed time, I hadn't unpacked yet so Froggy wasn't waiting in his bed like usual. I suggested we invite someone else to cuddle with him.
"What about George? Or Bald Eagle?"
His expression told me neither of these was acceptable.
"I know!" I said brightly. "What about Bunny Bear?"
Lucas' face lit up. "Yes! I haven't seen Bunny Bear in a while."
We dug through the mound of stuffed animals and finally emerged with Bunny Bear.
The next morning, Lucas sleepily came in the living room and told me good morning. I kissed and hugged him and asked him how he slept, as usual. Then he pushed Bunny Bear toward me and said, "Tell bunny bear good morning."
I love that kid.
***************
In the car one day, he wistfully told me, "I wish I could be a little piggie like George. I wish I could. But I'm not."
Life is hard sometimes. Like when you want to be a little piggie but you know it can't happen.
***************
At nap time another day, I heard a loud commotion from Lucas' room so I peeked in to check on him. He said he hurt his hand, and I nodded knowingly and asked him if he had been lying down (like he was supposed to) when it happened.
"Well," he trailed off. "I was just showing George and Froggy something. That they could do in my bed. I was just showing them one more time."
The day before we went to the Frio, we attended a birthday party in Austin. The boys had cake and ice cream and juice (oh my!)--so I saved their candy, mostly starbursts, for the road trip coming up. The next day when we were all packed up and on the road, I turned around and asked all the boys what they were most excited about.
Lucas gave a fast response.
"That tarburst."
I looked at Justin and we both laughed. Justin said, "Give that kid a package of candy and it's vacation time."
Lucas still gets his morning "snack" on the couch while he watches a show. One morning he was calling for me to bring it to him. I hadn't quite gotten to that part of my morning routine yet, so I kindly let him know that it would be a little while. After a few minutes, he decided on a different approach and called out in a sweet, pleading voice, "Nacky nack! Come to me."


No comments:
Post a Comment