Friday, November 4, 2016

Secret Spot

Lucas began making "secret spots" when we were on the cruise. 

He would climb on our bed, build up the six pillows like a fort, and crawl behind them with his baby bald eagle. 

He calls it his *secor* spot. "Nobody can see me in my *secor* spot!"

And it is PRECIOUS.

So today, on our day home together, he asked me to play *secor* spot with him. 

"Okay!" I laughed. "I'd love to."

And I meant it.

Because this dreamboat of mine, three years old and quite possibly the cutest thing ever, is hard to say no to. Also, who would want to?

So we gathered on the couch together, and he skipped to get the blanket that would cover us up and make us impossible for anyone to see. Not that there was anyone else at home, mind you, but still-- no one can see the *secor* spot. 

I lay down and he lay in my lap and I pulled the blanket over us and secured it at the top of the couch. He had his Hello Kitty flashlight and two tickets from the HEB Buddy machine that each said "20 points". 

Immediately I discovered something about secret spots--they're stuffy. I mean, I could barely breathe in there. 

So I suggested another game. "Hey, Lucas, wanna play shadow puppets in your room?" I cajoled, knowing his love for a dark room and flashlight. 

"No, mommy, let's stay in our secor spot," he responded.  

For the next twenty minutes we hid under that blanket, hardly moving, as he imagined and pretended and talked to his HEB tickets, and I really have no idea what we were playing but I listened to him and smelled his hair and just enjoyed being near him. 

And I remembered watching him play secret spot by himself, how Justin and I would laugh to ourselves. He was on the couch, and all we saw was a figure sitting up under the blanket--then he'd talk to himself and use two different voices....oh, my. Sweetness, pure and simple. I would wonder to myself when he did that, How does he breathe under there? Isn't he hot? Cramped?

After spending 20 minutes under a blanket with him, I'm still not sure how he does it. But I'd do it again tomorrow, if he asked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment