Tomorrow, the mister and I will celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary. If you'll recall, we had a pre-celebratory trip this past March with a sort-of-second-honeymoon in California. Here's the truth... I'd much rather have dinner and a movie out (or a trip to California, HA!) than receive expensive jewelry or gifts.
Just this morning I heard on the radio that sharing experiences with your family is a better way to celebrate Christmas and birthdays than with *stuff*....we relish and relive the memories, whereas we become bored with the material gifts after only a short while. This is so true! Our boys have a few select toys they play with now, and I love picking out a thoughtful gift or two for Christmas/birthdays, and saving up for a day at the movies or bowling or whatever.
And though Justin and I are not big gift givers to each other, I can't help but feel our greatest gift to each other is cherishing this God-ordained institution of marriage that we are in.
Cherishing each other on a daily basis.
Cherishing the children we've been given to raise.
So, really, it's a gift to them, too--Justin and I liking each other so much. (You're welcome, kids.)
I don't want our children to think we have a perfect marriage. But I do want them to know that we *love* marriage. We value it, treasure it--my prayer is that the way we treat each other reflects that sentiment. Marriage is the bomb, yo!
There was a pivotal moment five years ago when a dream that had rooted itself deep in my heart suddenly couldn't be held back any longer, and I *knew* I had to act on it. I knew it was right. It didn't make sense, it was never my plan, and the details just didn't fit. But it was the answer to my prayers.
Together, Justin and I decided I wouldn't be working at the bank any longer; I would stay at home and raise our kids full time. This man that I married, whom I had the good fortune to say *I do* to, looked past all the inconveniences it could bring to our family, including selling our house, moving, the loss of income--all of it, and he supported me and was right there and I honestly feel that it was one of the best decisions of my--our-- life. (At least, I hope he feels that way! I am continually thankful I've been allowed this time at home.) I didn't give up anything--I gained much more than I deserve.
Our marriage has grown so much since then. We found our church and with it, the boys' school. At 27 years old, I was baptized in the church--the same church Justin went to as a child and that he was baptized in. God has pointed us here and when I reflect on it, I'm never not in awe of how it has all unfolded so perfectly.
If there is one thing I can say about 10 years of marriage, it's this: fix your eyes on eternity. We talk about heaven casually, artificially, without giving thought to what is at stake. Our days here are so limited, and we waste much of them on wordly stuff that simply doesn't matter--or we squander the opportunities we have to be obedient to God. And to think, the Bible tells us that with every act of obedience to God's Word, we are earning rewards in heaven. That means, *it* matters-- the harsh words spoken in anger, the tit-for-tat attitude, the unrepentant heart that has grown inside of us because of an action or behavior we feel wronged us. We might be doing good all the live long day--but that doesn't wash clean those choices. One day, I won't have to answer for my husband, I'll have to answer for myself. And I doubt that I will be able to explain away what I've done but pushing the blame on what he did or didn't do.
I am blessed every day by this man and the children we share--and God uses them to make me better. Every. Single. Day.
Happy anniversary to my groom. Lord, please let me be close to him in heaven--at the very least, I'd like us to be neighbors.
Ten years ago....2006
Happy anniversary to my groom. Lord, please let me be close to him in heaven--at the very least, I'd like us to be neighbors.
Ten years ago....2006

No comments:
Post a Comment