Saturday, February 24, 2018

The Flu of 2018

Earlier this month, the flu hit the Voigt household. This was the first time I can remember all three boys being sick at the same time. What an adventure!
I won’t bore you with all the details. Basically, all you need to know is that the boys were sick, Justin was sick, I was sick, and.....well, isn’t that enough?

But what I discovered through the nurturing and ministering and nursing of this family that I love is that even in sickness, their personalities shine through.

Cooper gets sick a lot like Justin. He’s quiet, and long-suffering, and doesn’t make a lot of fuss. When he’s feeling his absolute worst, it shows in his eyes and you can hear it in his voice. But what surprised me after he was feeling better was that he became silly beyond measure. Pure silliness. That kid was non-stop ridiculously silly for two straight days once his fever broke.

Sweet Brayden gets even sweeter when he's sick. He wants to cuddle. He wants hugs. He tells me he loves me multiple times. So in a nutshell he's a super easy sick kid. 😘

Lucas gets extremely dramatic when he's feeling badly. The first night of their first day home sick, we were all sitting down to dinner. Lucas painfully lifted his spoon to his mouth, groaning in agony from just that simple task. His face showed how hard it was to even sit at the table for any length of time. He sighed. He moaned. His face squinched.

Justin whispered to me in the kitchen that if Lucas made it through dinner it would be a miracle.

Thankfully, after one full week home we all returned to school/work.


It all started the last Saturday in January when we were in Belton for Russell's proposal to Aunt Macy. He surprised her on the basketball court where they both played college basketball, and we all got to be there to watch and celebrate! It was such a sweet, happy evening and I was so glad we were all there to share in it.




But Cooper said he wasn't feeling well right after the propoasal, so we decided to skip out on the rest of the celebrating and head home.( We had been gone all day, first to basketball, then to Austin for some belated birthday fun for Brayden--Dan's hamburgers and a visit to Mt. Playmore!)




Mt. Playmore wears them out!!

Sunday he just laid around, but still managed to sing at church that morning. Monday morning when I got him up for school, he said he felt bad, so I made arrangements to be away from school that day. Next thing I knew he said, "Mom I feel fine! I want to go to school."





We went, but by 10:00 am he had a temperature and we were back home. That evening, all three boys had fevers. But they were all very low, not over 101, so the flu never occurred to me.

Justin said he could take off work and stay with the boys on Wednesday. By that evening, he was feeling sick...and by the next evening, I was, too!

At one point over a third of the students from school were out sick. This flu is no joke!

But, thankfully, it is behind us and now we are gearing up for Spring Break!

No comments:

Post a Comment