Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Cereal

Children can bring laughter and light at times we don't think it's possible. I was reminded of this recently, as we went through something I never thought we would--our home being burglarized.

Stressful, and yet these boys kept us laughing. That first night, I was trying to put dinner together amidst a home that was demolished. As the boys took their places at the table, Cooper suddenly asked worriedly, "Mom, did they take our dishes?"

I smothered a laugh and told him all of our dishes were accounted for.

This must have been on Lucas' mind also, and he joined in with what was on his heart.


"Mommy, I was about to ask if they took any cereal. But.... they didn't, --did they mom?"

Thankfully, they had completely missed our wonderful selection of breakfast cereal. I was laughing and crying on the inside, thinking of the things that are important to a 4 and 8 year old.

The next day, as we were slowly putting things back to normal, there were a few piles of random stuff (aka junk) that I needed to go through. A collection of cords and old chargers that I had stashed somewhere was in a heap on the living room floor (because you never know when you might need one! Even though I hadn't the foggiest idea what they might go to).

Brayden gathered them up and brought them to Justin, and with the most grateful voice told him, "At least they didn't take these, Dad."

All the boys had a hard time going to sleep that first night, but especially Lucas and Brayden. They were both out of their beds countless times, and though I had rubbed their backs and spoken comforting words and soothed their troubled hearts, my patience was dwindling. I wanted to comfort them, but I also wanted my house back in order and I didn't even know where to start. I was sitting at the kitchen table, thinking of what pile to tackle first, when Brayden walked quietly up.

He came up next to me and asked, "Mommy, will you pray with me?"

So we prayed together, there in the kitchen, and asked God for the comfort and peace that only he can provide. We thanked him for being with us and protecting us, and when we had said Amen, Brayden walked back to his room and was able to fall right asleep. This is the abundant life that we are given, to know and love a Savior that gives us such sweet, soulful moments in the middle of our storm.


Our anthem lately has been the upbeat Old Church Choir song by Zach Williams....especially this line--

"There ain't nothing, there ain't nothing gonna steal my joy."

No comments:

Post a Comment