Monday, June 12, 2017

Is It Morning?

It is a fact that I've probably never experienced such trying moments as I have as a mother.

However, it is also a fact that I've never experienced such out-of-nowhere funny moments. Being around children is surprising and fun and whimsical. Every new age brings forth a sorrow for the time that was and a joy for the new age that is unfolding. I am equally in love with Lucas at age 3, Brayden at age 6 and Cooper at age 8. I understand so well Brayden's feelings when we watched a movie of him at 18 months and Cooper at 3, and he wistfully declared, "I just want to go back in time and be a baby again."

But these days are sweet and I look forward to a summer of spending days with my boys.
 

Some of the things the boys have said of late:

Lucas will come up to me out of nowhere and say, "I want to give you a hug and a kiss."

He woke up one morning and excitedly told me, "I slept so good that I want to kiss my bed! And myself."

Cooper, after taking a shower with Lucas one evening and reveling in his big brother duties, came and proudly told me, "Lucas and I washed our bodies twice, because we knew that would make you happy."

Brayden, when he's feeling loved and content, still likes to tell me, "You're a good mom."

And there is nothing more achingly sweet as going to wake Lucas up in the morning. I will admit that (shockingly) he is still sleeping in his crib. We (and when I say 'we', I mean 'I') have languished in getting Brayden a new bed, which means Lucas still gets put in his bed every night by mom or dad. And he never tries to climb out. Maybe we are just holding on to our baby.

But when you go to get him out, he is always so happy and asks, "Is it morning?" and looks around for whatever friend he chose to cuddle up with the night before--lately it's been "tree frog"--and often he asks if "his boys" are awake yet. Many mornings, even though he knows the answer, he will ask if Daddy is at work.

One morning as I plopped him down on the couch and searched for the remote to turn on the TV, Lucas said in a funny old-man voice, "This looks like a comfy couch." Then he looked up and explained, "Bald Eagle said that."

After breakfast one morning, Lucas climbed down from his chair and walked up to me asking, "Do I have yogurt in my hair? Do I? Do I, mom?"




No comments:

Post a Comment