Yesterday, the boys and I took a day trip to La Grange.
It was only partially planned, but we enjoyed the time so much.
I found out that there would be a magic show as part of the La Grange library summer reading program. That was our only plan, and the rest just fell into place.
The magic show happened to be at Casino Hall in La Grange, which is a historic building that was used as the town meeting hall (not for gambling). It’s a beautiful old building. The magician was hilarious, and Brayden was called on stage as a helper at one point.
After that, we were all hungry. I wanted to find a little park for us to sit and eat lunch, and as I drove through town, there was a gazebo that looked perfect. We all sat under the gazebo, which was right by the town square and across the street from the courthouse. It was cloudy and a little cool, unusually so. As we finished our lunch, I noticed a garden right behind us. After our lunch we went to explore —“Grandmothers’s Flower Garden” was its name, and as we walked around, I was so thrilled we had stumbled upon it.
It was created as a nod to the gardens that might have graced a town center 100 years ago. Charming, and added to the sweetness of our day as I read to the boys on the plaques about the garden.
We decided to pay a visit to the courthouse after that. Several towns around us have historic courthouses, but this one was truly lovely. Lots of history inside, pictures and plaques that detail the early days of La Grange. The biggest hit with the boys was an atrium on the first floor, extending all the way to the 4th floor, with a large fountain. They threw lots of money in and made lots of wishes. I also saw the largest fiddle leaf fig I’ve ever seen, and I remembered my grandmother’s love for hers.
We were able to see the courtroom, mostly the same as when it was originally built, with the old wood seats and large windows with wood shutters. The boys really enjoyed seeing this.
We discovered a little bakery on the square called “Lukas Bakery” and we just had to go in. Lucas was thrilled that it had his name. But, when we walked over, they had already closed for the day. We all decided that we would have to come back soon.
Some summer days we just piddle at home, doing this and that. This day was so sweet and I could feel the memories being made, knew that everything had worked together for our time.
![]() |
| Part of the garden. |
![]() |
| Ready for the magic show! |
![]() |
| Bray on stage. |
![]() |
| The best selfie I could do. This skill needs improvement. |
![]() |
| The front of the Casino Hall. |
![]() |
| Outside the courthouse. |
![]() |
| Now that's a fiddle leaf fig. |
![]() |
| First you throw the pennies into the fountain, then you dig your hands in the water and get them out, so you can throw them back in. |
![]() |
| The boys really enjoyed hearing about the sundial. |
![]() |
| My history lover, reading about the beginning of La Grange. |
















No comments:
Post a Comment