Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Prayers

A few weeks ago, Lucas suddenly found the courage to pray aloud. I remember that it was right after the Las Vegas shooting. We let the boys say our prayer before dinner time, and we all pray together before bedtime.

Lucas asked to pray and since then, like most things, he ran with it and wants to be THE go-to prayer person for our family. If he prays, he kindly asks that no one else be allowed to speak. I allowed it for the first few days--since I didn't want to squash the confidence he'd gained in voicing his prayers--but after several days of "I want to pray and no one else can" I gently let him know that all of us are free to pray.

Lucas also grabs a hold of a prayer request and does not let it go. He's prayed for the Las Vegas victims faithfully at every meal and at every bed time since it's happened. The dad of one of my teacher friends is sick, and every night he asks for healing for "Mrs. Rhonda's dad".

Here are some other funny prayer requests:

Help us in our family not to go by any bad guys or Kings. (????)

Help everyone not to go by guns. And help everyone in the shooting. And help Mrs. Rhonda's dad. And help the Las Vegas people.


I think I've mentioned before that Lucas talks about his future self as a daddy. As in, "When I'm a daddy" and not "when I grow up" or "when I'm an adult". It's such an endearing way to describe himself and I love that he yearns to be a daddy someday.

Lately, a lot of the "when I'm a daddy" comments have centered around doing things for Justin and me when we are old.

Whenever I be a daddy, I'm gonna drive you around. (He told me this at dinner one evening.)

Whenever y'all are at work, I'll clean the house for you. (I asked him--so you're not going to go to work??!) ....Or when y'all are at work, I'll go to my police office.

When I be a daddy policeman, if you speed I'm going to arrest you.


In the evenings, Justin will oftentimes play football with Cooper and Brayden and I'll play soccer or 'throw and catch' with Lucas. He's just not quite ready for the big boy football games.

One evening Lucas and I were tossing a tennis ball back and forth and he had on his t-ball glove. I guess my skills were on-par that evening, because he was quite impressed with my performance.

Lucas:  You really need to be on a baseball team. Can you catch baseballs? (I told him I could.)
 

After a few more minutes of playing..

Lucas: You *really* need to be on a girl baseball team!

I  don't have the heart to tell him that of all the things I can claim to be good at, baseball--even girl baseball--is not one of them.



************************

One of my favorite things about childhood is that you're somwhere between reality and make-believe. You're not worried about sounding silly or unrealistic--you just get to imagine to your heart's content. Lucas does a lot of make-believe in the car, and he'll talk to himself and as long as I don't look back at him, he'll keep going as if no one can hear. One day on the way somewhere he was drawing on a dry-erase board, and I overheard this:

I know you're excited marker. I know you're excited to draw. But you can't be excited.

There was much more and I SO wish I had written it down...but, seriously, how cute is it that he was talking to his marker about how it excited it was to DRAW ON THE BOARD? I can hardly stand the cuteness.





No comments:

Post a Comment